fortheloveofherpetology: Puff Adder (Bitis arietans)
- One of the most widespread snakes in Africa. Avoids the sever parts of the Sahara Desert, tropical rainforest, and high altitudes.
- Extends from the southern Cape to southern Morocco and also into southern Arabia
- If disturbed, they will hiss loudly and continuously, adopting a tightly coiled defensive posture with the fore part of their body held in a taut ‘S’ shape
- During a strike, the force of the impact is so strong and the long fangs penetrate so deeply, that prey items are often killed by the physical trauma alone. They are apparently able to penetrate soft leather.
- They can strike to a distance of about one-third of their body length. Juveniles, however, will launch their entire bodies forwards in the process
I do not own these images